25 July 2008

Super Easy Vegan Peach Scones

This is my variation of a basic scone recipe from "Vegan with a Vengeance."  You really could add any fruit.  I chose peaches because my mom went overboard when we went to Sprouts and she saw that peaches were 39¢/lb.  Also, I added lime juice to the soy milk to give it a tang that resembled buttermilk.

3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbl baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup soy milk
1/3 cup canola oil
juice of 1/2 lemon or lime (I use lime because we never have lemons!)
2 medium peaches, peeled and chopped

Preheat oven to 400ºF and grease your baking sheet (I lined mine with foil).
In a large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients, minus the peaches.  Then add all of the wet ingredients.  Mix until you don't see anymore wetness.  Don't be alarmed if the dough isn't "dough-y," it's supposed to look like crumble topping like this:  


Then fold in your fruit.  To form the scones, I used my 1/4 measuring cup and scooped out the dough.  I put a little more on top and pat it down with my hand on the baking sheet.  You can yield about 16 scones depending on how big you make them.  I only got 12 this time.  :) I also sprinkled some sugar on them before they went into the oven.


12 minutes....


These are great to have for breakfast or a snack with coffee, tea or soy milk.  I like my scones heated up (15 secs in the microwave) with vegan butter.  My mom and sister will most likely eat these as is during our drive to Austin early tomorrow morning.

ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what it would be like with blueberries...