10 September 2012

chocolate birthday cake

Saturday was my other roommate Darien's birthday. he requested a chocolate on chocolate cake (his new 'flava' if ya know what I mean ;)
I immediately looked up some chocolate cake recipes that I've saved for a special occasion and found one! It was a double chocolate cake. But work started up this week and i was exhausted by Friday.
So I bit the bullet and bought a cake mix. (gasp.) I know. It took me a good 20 minutes to make peace with it.

But boy, was I glad I did! I bought the Trader Joe's chocolate cake mix and it was amaze-balls. It almost tasted like dark chocolate cake. The cake was very moist but still had a cake-y crumb with a deep, dark chocolate-y flavor. It was super easy (I mean, most box mixes are) and it didn't taste like a box mix. I highly recommend it!

Also, I used Betty Crocker's Chocolate frosting. It was delicious. I know, I'm such a sell-out. But at least I'm human!!! The cake was Darien-approved and at the end of the day, that's really all that matters.


(twenty-six & too many tricks.)

*Things I did right and wrong...
I followed the instructions on the box and used sunflower oil. I decorated with a simple buttercream (butter, powdered sugar, splash of soy milk), but my patience got the best of me and the cold butter did not enjoy the company of my food coloring. A friend commented that it looked like I decorated the cake with strips of ground meat. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE TO USE ROOM TEMPERATURE BUTTER. Learn from my mistakes people. Eat, enjoy and wash down with a mimosa or two... especially when entering your late 20s.

ps- two back-to-back cake posts... what does that say about me?! At least it's not a cake a day...

No comments: