27 August 2008

Hillary Has a Heart...and Shows It!

Ever since June 3 (day before my birthday), we have rarely seen Senator Hillary Clinton in the political spotlight.  Agitated Hillary defenders were basically left wondering what to do.  Should they reluctantly hop on the Obama bandwagon or vote in opposition to the man they had originally thought unfit and untrained to run their country?  I wouldn't know personally because I wasn't a supporter of her but that's what I would be thinking.  Well, Tuesday night of the DNC was Hillary night (according to CNN) and surprisingly, it was a good night!  In a semi-overwhelming message of unity, Democrats were told to move forward and to keep fighting.  Let Us Unite!

Overall, I thought the actual speech was super dramatic but that it also needed to be in order for her message to be as stimulating/motivating as it was.  She focused a lot on the progress of women (her mom was born before women's suffrage; Chelsea has the opportunity to vote for her mom) and that made me wonder if Hillary fans were supporting Hillary the person or the progress of women.  If not now, when will the opportunity for women will come?  2012?  Keep on fighting and we'll get there.

Personally, I was really surprised at her speech.  Up until the very end of her campaign for the Democratic nomination, she was a robot.  But all of the sudden, she wears a different energy (with no help from that orange pantsuit contraption) that is relatable and real.  Dan (who suggested that I post this "controversial" political commentary) attributes it to all the sleep she's had, which is a good hypothesis.
 
Aside from her newfound spirit, Hillary delivered some great lines along with a great anecdote of Harriet Tubman's fight for freedom.  
"No way. No how.  No McCain.  Barack Obama is my candidate."
"We don't need four more years of the last eight years."
"To my supporters, to my champions- to my sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits- from the bottom of my heart: Thank you."

Hillary also challenged her supporters and asked why are you in this?  Were you in this campaign just for me?  Were you in it for all the people in this country who feel invisible?  I thought that was really powerful and more importantly, it made me think.  So... why am I in this?  I'll save that for another post.

So... why are YOU in this?

I can't wait for Billy to speak!!!

No comments: